[PD-dev] miXed Makefile.common -fPIC cflag

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Jul 22 23:37:25 CEST 2008

OPT_CFLAGS is also used in externals/Makefile which then calls
externals/miXed/cyclone/Makefile.  I am pretty sure that since
package/linux_make/Makefile calls externals/Makefile which calls
externals/miXed/cyclone/Makefile, the OPT_CFLAGS are passed to each
Makefile as part of the environment.  I could be wrong though...  if
so, then this line in externals/Makefile:

	cd $(externals_src)/miXed/cyclone && $(MAKE) OUT_DIR=$(CYCLONE_OUT_DIR)

Could be changed to something like this:

	cd $(externals_src)/miXed/cyclone && $(MAKE) OUT_DIR=$
(CYCLONE_OUT_DIR) \
                   OPT_CFLAGS=$(OPT_CFLAGS)

I am ok with changing other places where its needed.  But the miXed
build system is so complicated, I'd rather not mess with it at all.

.hc

On Jul 21, 2008, at 3:44 PM, Sergi Lario wrote:

> Ok, sounds good.
>
> OPT_CFLAGS appears only in the makefile of this externals: jackx
> and miXed
>
> At the moment jackx makefile has -fPIC flag, so that we have two
> options
>
> * to add -fPIC to OPT_CFLAGS in linux_make/Makefile and remove the
> jackx one if is needed (duplicate)
> * to add -fPIC to miXed Makefile.common directly
>
> Sergi.
>

> 2008/7/20 Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at eds.org>:
>
> What if you added -fPIC to OPT_CFLAGS in 'packages/linux_make/
> Makefile'?  The miXed build system will get the flags from that
> OPT_CFLAGS.  Plus I think that setting it in OPT_CFLAGS would then
> set it everywhere.
>
> .hc
>

> On Jul 12, 2008, at 10:02 PM, Sergi Lario wrote:
>
>> Hi list,
>>
>> I added the -fPIC cflag in all makefiles I get errors compiling on
>> a 64 bits machine ( http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-list/
>> 2008-07/063706.html ) with coders of these externals agree.
>>

>> But not with the miXed makefile.
>>
>> sll at sll-cube:/home/pd-extended/externals/*miXed*$ vim
>> Makefile.common
>> Line: 119
>> CFLAGS = *-fPIC* $(WARN_CFLAGS) $(OPT_CFLAGS) $(DEFINES) $(INCLUDES)
>>

>> The -fPIC flag lets compile over 64 bit machines. With this
>> changes I complied pd-extened with no problems.
>>
>> Who can make this change?
>>
>> Greetings,
>>
>> Sergi.

> ------
>
> As we enjoy great advantages from inventions of others, we should
> be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours;
> and this we should do freely and generously.         - Benjamin
> Franklin

----

Computer science is no more related to the computer than astronomy is
related to the telescope.      -Edsger Dykstra