[PD-dev] how to compile pdstring from moocow?

Bryan Jurish moocow at ling.uni-potsdam.de
Wed Aug 13 10:53:00 CEST 2008

moin all,

I take it all back (well, some of it at any rate).  Looks like m_pd.h
isn't the only problem after all -- you're missing at least one other
compiler flag too...

On 2008-08-13 00:52:13, Martin Peach <martin.peach at sympatico.ca> appears
to have written:
> Roman Haefeli wrote:
>> hi all
>>
>> i followed the README.cvs file included and when doing 'make' i get:
>>
>> Making all in config
>> make[1]: Entering directory
>> `/home/roman/pd-svn/externals/moocow/pdstring/config'
>> make[1]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
>> make[1]: Leaving directory
>> `/home/roman/pd-svn/externals/moocow/pdstring/config'
>> Making all in src
>> make[1]: Entering directory
>> `/home/roman/pd-svn/externals/moocow/pdstring/src'
>> make  all-recursive
>> make[2]: Entering directory
>> `/home/roman/pd-svn/externals/moocow/pdstring/src'
>> make[3]: Entering directory
>> `/home/roman/pd-svn/externals/moocow/pdstring/src'
>> gcc     pdstring.c   -o pdstring
>> pdstring.c:41: error: expected ',' or ';' before 'PACKAGE_VERSION'
>> In file included from pdstring.c:62:
>> any2string.c:76: error: expected ',' or ';' before 'PACKAGE_VERSION'
>> In file included from pdstring.c:63:
>> string2any.c:59: error: expected ',' or ';' before 'PACKAGE_VERSION'
>> make[3]: *** [pdstring] Error 1
>> make[3]: Leaving directory
>> `/home/roman/pd-svn/externals/moocow/pdstring/src'
>> make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
>> make[2]: Leaving directory
>> `/home/roman/pd-svn/externals/moocow/pdstring/src'
>> make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
>> make[1]: Leaving directory
>> `/home/roman/pd-svn/externals/moocow/pdstring/src'
>> make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
>>

>> i am on ubuntu hardy i686, which uses comes with gcc version 4.2.3
>>

> For some reason PACKAGE_VERSION is defined here:
> externals\build\src\any2string.c(1):#define PACKAGE_VERSION "CVS"
> I think it should properly be defined in a .h file that is #included by
> the above files.

PACKAGE_VERSION ought to get defined in
externals/moocow/pdstring/src/config.h via autoheader.  Still, the
redefinition shouldn't cause any (major) headaches unless you try to
compile with "-Werror", which Roman is not.

Your observation brings to light another Truly Odd Thing, however:
config.h only gets included if autoconf and autoheader are playing
together nicely: in this case, the gcc call should include the argument
"-DHAVE_CONFIG_H", which the above make log shows is not the case.  So
apparently, config.h isn't getting included, PACKAGE_VERSION isn't
getting defined, and the errors we're seeing are plain old lexical
errors from the C compiler.

Curioser and curioser... Roman, please do send along a copy of your
config.log when you get a chance ;-)  also the output (stdout and
stderr) of ./autogen.sh and ./configure would be helpful:

 bash$ (sh ./autogen.sh && ./configure && make) 2>&1 | tee build.log

marmosets,
	Bryan

--
Bryan Jurish                           "There is *always* one more bug."
jurish at ling.uni-potsdam.de      -Lubarsky's Law of Cybernetic Entomology