[PD-dev] how to compile pdstring from moocow?

Bryan Jurish moocow at ling.uni-potsdam.de
Wed Aug 13 15:01:43 CEST 2008

moin Roman,

On 2008-08-13 13:22:07, Roman Haefeli <reduzierer at yahoo.de> appears to
have written:
> how can i compile moocow then?

I'm feeling quite compiled enough already, thanks ;-)

> i tried:
>  ./autogen.sh && ./configure && make

this (above) is the "official" way to do it: calling this from e.g.
externals/moocow/pdstring ought to build cleanly on normal(TM) systems.

> and:
>
> cd <pd-svn>/externals
> make moocow

... this looks like a pd-extended build idiom to me.  The pd-extended
build rules for my externals don't really do anything more than iterate
(./autogen.sh && ./configure && make), in a more or less error-tolerant,
autobuild-safe sort of way. The pd-extended rules I wrote expect certain
make variables to be set which are only really valid for pd-extended
builds though, so I think you're asking for trouble going the "make
moocow" route, unless in the course of a whole pd-extended build (I
still have to check out why and how those builds are failing).  Using
the first method (./autogen.sh && ./configure && make) is your best bet.

> and both give a lot of errors.

Have you tried building from the pre-packaged sources on my pd page?

  http://www.ling.uni-potsdam.de/~moocow/projects/pd

If these compile but the SVN sources don't, there might be a
compatibility problem with your auto-tools (automake, autoconf, autoheader).

marmosets,
	Bryan

--
Bryan Jurish                           "There is *always* one more bug."
jurish at ling.uni-potsdam.de      -Lubarsky's Law of Cybernetic Entomology