[PD-dev] dump OSC bugs?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Aug 27 01:59:18 CEST 2008

On Aug 23, 2008, at 10:55 AM, Martin Peach wrote:

> Frank Barknecht wrote:
>> Hallo,
>> IOhannes m zmoelnig hat gesagt: // IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
>>
>>> whenever i find the time, i want to add a note into the
>>> constructor of
>>> the OSCx objects, so you get a warning each and everytime you
>>> create one
>>> of these objects.
>>
>> I think, such warnings may be a bit too patronizing.  Also OSCroute
>> doesn't have any critical bugs AFAIK.
>>
>> Bundling some replacement abstractions build with Martin's osc
>> objects
>> for ease of transition would be useful, though, and the osc help
>> files
>> could benefit from some polishing like replacing [prepend] with a
>> no-nameclash solution based on [list] etc.
>
> Probably moving the mrpeach osc objects (routeOSC, packOSC and
> unpackOSC) into an /osc folder and the net objects (udpreceive,
> udpsend,
> tcpreceive, tcpsend, tcpclient, tcpserver) into a /net folder would
> be a
> good idea, making them easier to find for the uninitiated.
> Unfortunately it would break some existing patches that currently use
> the /mrpeach prefix. And I'm not sure how much svn enjoys moving
> things
> around like that.

Just leave the objects in 'mrpeach' and old patches won't break.
Then the 'mrpeach' lib could be deprecated in stages.

I think having clean, well organized 'net' and 'osc' libraries would
be great. Before just moving them to 'net' and 'osc', I think there
should be a clear idea of what a full-fledged 'net' and osc'
libraries would look like.  Each library should have standard
interfaces and messages for the objects in that library.

'osc' would probably be an easier place to start, since it will most
likely be smaller.

.hc