[PD-dev] removing binary mime-type from .pd files in SVN

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Thu Aug 28 01:31:42 CEST 2008

On Aug 27, 2008, at 4:51 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> On Aug 27, 2008, at 9:42 AM, zmoelnig at iem.at wrote:
>
>> Quoting Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at eds.org>:
>>

>>> Hey all,
>>>
>>> A number of people set the CVS binary flag on .pd files to prevent
>>> merges.  Since AFAIK, this isn't necessary with SVN and this
>>> prevents
>>
>> as i understand it, it is still necessary with svn.
>>
>>> using svn diff, I was wondering if anyone would object if I removed
>>
>> well, from the revision control system's point of view i think
>> that a "merge" is closely related to a "diff" (the latter being
>> the inverse of the former)
>>
>>> the binary mime-type from all .pd files in SVN.
>>>
>>> Or is there some other reason to set .pd files to a mime-type of
>>> application/octal?
>>
>> so the reason why i (inconsistently) tag pd-patches as "binary" is
>> in order to prevent merging.
>> if you have any other way to prevent merging of pd-patches please
>> do so.
>> i would also be interested in any way that prevents merging and
>> allows diffs at the same time.
>
> I thought that this was part of the reason why we upgraded to SVN,
> useful conflict resolution tools.  :)  Since on a merge, SVN
> automatically provides you with four files to assist the merge, I
> think this feature is quite useful with Pd as well.  The CVS-style
> merged file is not so useful (i.e. the one with <<<<<< and >>>>>>
> in it), but the three copies of the file that has a conflict are
> very useful.  You can open up the two revisions.
>
> See the "Resolve Conflicts" section of the SVN book:
> http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.0/ch03s05.html

Doh, of course, I forgot that this only happens when there is a
conflict.  So the question is how to trigger this behavior with Pd
patches without disabling diff support...

.hc

>> and finally: why do you need diffs of Pd patches?
>> (well, i sometimes like them to see if only very minor changes -
>> e.g. the patch window has a new position - occured)
>
> I use diff to see differences between versions, what else? ;-P
>
> .hc
>

>> fmadsr
>> IOhannes

> ------
>
> All information should be free.  - the hacker ethic

----

"Free software means you control what your computer does. Non-free
software means someone else controls that, and to some extent
controls you." - Richard M. Stallman