[PD-dev] removing binary mime-type from .pd files in SVN

zmoelnig at iem.at zmoelnig at iem.at
Thu Aug 28 02:56:09 CEST 2008

Quoting Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at eds.org>:

> I thought that this was part of the reason why we upgraded to SVN,
> useful conflict resolution tools.  :)  Since on a merge, SVN

i cannot remember that argument; it would have been a very good one,
but unfortunately i am not really aware of it.

> automatically provides you with four files to assist the merge, I
> think this feature is quite useful with Pd as well.  The CVS-style
> merged file is not so useful (i.e. the one with <<<<<< and >>>>>> in
> it), but the three copies of the file that has a conflict are very
> useful.  You can open up the two revisions.

right, that's definitely an improvement over the CVS style. (but i
wouldn't go as far and call it a "useful conflict resolution tool").

without reading tfm (it's rather late by now), i wonder how this is
related to the svn:binary flag. i guess this flag will still produce
conflicts (if there are any) in the way you described. correct?

>> and finally: why do you need diffs of Pd patches?
>> (well, i sometimes like them to see if only very minor changes -
>> e.g. the patch window has a new position - occured)
>
> I use diff to see differences between versions, what else? ;-P

fair enough.
my argument was rather along the line, that diff can only be used to
track trivial changes. anything else will just not work.

mfgdsr
IOhannes