[PD-dev] Problem building pdlua on MinGW

Claude Heiland-Allen claudiusmaximus at goto10.org
Tue Sep 2 17:57:04 CEST 2008

PSPunch wrote:
> Hi Claude,
>

> I have lua.dll and pd.lua both in my "extra" directory now.
>
> A little excerpt of the output of -stderr -verbose..
> This is when trying to create a [lua] object.
>
> --------
> tried C:\Program Files\pd\extra\flatspace\lua.dll and failed
> tried C:\Program Files\pd\extra\lua.dll and succeeded
> C:\Program Files\pd\extra\lua.dll: couldn't load

hmm, very uninformative error message.  any windows experts know what
this error means?

> Did you imply that if pd.lua not being recognized is the case, there
> should be an output mentioning it?

yes.  that error message looks like:

""""
error: lua: error loading `pd.lua': canvas_open() failed
error: lua: loader will not be registered!
""""

to fix it, add the directory containing pd.lua into the -path

(TODO: look relative to the pdlua binary, so that you don't need to
fiddle with path settings)

> The file seems to be found.

Yes.

> It seems like it is not able to load.

Indeed, but why?

>>> As a base line, I am using the following combination of files.
>>>
>>> - MinGW for building
>>> - Using pd.dll from pd-extended 0.40.3-20080721 (Win binary package)
>>> - Using m_pd.h from pd-0.40.3 source

what is pd-extended compiled with?  internet search suggests that there
might be incompatibilities between Microsoft and GNU compilers, but now
I'm thinking the below is more likely the cause:

>>> Info: resolving _garray_class by linking to __imp__garray_class
>>> (auto-import)
>>> Info: resolving _s_ by linking to __imp__s_ (auto-import)

Guessing now: pd.dll doesn't export "s_" or "garray_class", which means
externals can't use them like on the unixoid OSs?  That would be
"somewhat disadvantageous" :(

Any windows people have any ideas?

Claude