[PD-dev] Problem building pdlua on MinGW (solved for now)

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Sep 3 10:02:29 CEST 2008

PSPunch wrote:
> Hi Frank,
>

>  >   #ifdef MSW
>  >   #ifdef PD_INTERNAL
>  >   #define EXTERN __declspec(dllexport) extern
>  >   #else
>  >   #define EXTERN __declspec(dllimport) extern
>  >   #endif /* PD_INTERNAL */
>
> Without PD_INTERNAL defined, dllexport -> dllimport which looks kind of
> critical.

well obvisouly there are two clashing things:
you want pdlua to _import_ things from pd.dll (e.g. "post()"), therefore
you should NOT define PD_INTERNAL
you want pdlua to _export_ things (namely "pdlua_setup()")

> Below are the last few lines of output when PD_INTERNAL is not defined.

you should never ever define PD_INTERNAL when you are not writing Pd
internals (hence the name).

> BTW, do you know off hand what the -export_dynamic option was originally
> there for?

it's there to make life easier: to not have to declare symbols to
imported/exported (which as we have seen above is basically the same,
just from a different point of view).

> I searched some but could not find a clear explanation, however, among
> search results were some Pd related pages mentioning it to be needed.

unfortunately i don't know any mingw, so i cannot really help you.

fmgadsr
IOhannes