[PD-dev] svn:externals "sucks", or tracking changes in Gem

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Sep 8 13:23:51 CEST 2008

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> Sorry, I am very slammed right now, so I didn't have time to look at
> this build issue.  I moved everything to point to the Gem SVN now, so
> it should work fine.

thanks

> Instead of svn:externals, another option is to import gem releases
> into the pure-data SVN.  I am working a lot now with openembedded,
> and basically all the code used there is pegged to a certain release
> version.  With big distros like Pd-extended, that is necessary in
> order to get anything released.  I suppose it would also be possible
> then to have a Gem-only nightly build.

yes that would be an option, though it might be even more work than it
is now.
i still think that the svn is more than just the release system for
pd-extended.

> Moving gem development to the pure-data SVN would also solve this

right, but i won't do that;

> issue, so there are many ways to do it.  If someone wants to run a
> build farm and maintain Pd-extended, I'll happily defer to them on
> these questions.  But right now, for me, svn:externals solves no
> problems and also creates new problems.

no problem; i just wanted to point out that it seemed to me that the
main problem with svn:externals (as you described it previously) also
exists in the current layout we are using.

mfga.sdr
IOhannes