[PD-dev] svn:externals "sucks", or tracking changes in Gem

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Sep 10 09:26:18 CEST 2008

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> developers together.  But it is not working so well now, perhaps because
> it isn't clearly defined, or because we have different needs now.

do you think so? and why?

> - For Pd-extended, there needs to be a repository to do code freezes and
> bug fixes, branches work pretty well for that.

which is what we have now.
the important thing is (imho), to not distinguish between "upstream"
versions and "packaging" versions as far as possible.
since the Pd-community is so small, i don't think this is a real problem
to maintain (unlike e.g. with debian)

> - for making a central place to find code, I think we'd be better off
> with a 'libraries' page like http://processing.org has.

yes: yet another page to maintain!

> - for nightly builds, I think that ideally there would be a way to build
> libraries separately from Pd-extended, but that's a matter of someone
> doing the work.  Running something like buildbot would be really nice.

yes!

gfmadsr
IOhannes