[PD-dev] svn:externals "sucks", or tracking changes in Gem

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Sep 10 21:02:44 CEST 2008

On Sep 10, 2008, at 3:26 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>> developers together.  But it is not working so well now, perhaps
>> because it isn't clearly defined, or because we have different
>> needs now.
>
> do you think so? and why?

One example: There are lots of people who want to use a separate
repository.  There isn't a clean way to include that code.  Plus we
are having to discuss how to use the SVN a lot, so there are
conflicting ideas of how we should use it.

>> - For Pd-extended, there needs to be a repository to do code
>> freezes and bug fixes, branches work pretty well for that.
>
> which is what we have now.
> the important thing is (imho), to not distinguish between
> "upstream" versions and "packaging" versions as far as possible.
> since the Pd-community is so small, i don't think this is a real
> problem to maintain (unlike e.g. with debian)

That's why I think making a clean and easy to use library format is
the #1 priority.  Then people maintain their own releases.

>> - for making a central place to find code, I think we'd be better
>> off with a 'libraries' page like http://processing.org has.
>
> yes: yet another page to maintain!

If that page was a wiki page, it would open up the maintenance to
more people.  Plus they wouldn't have to learn/use SVN if they didn't
want to. With the current system, you have to be a developer in the
pure-data project and you have to use SVN.  So it would be a matter
of shifting maintenance.  Plus this information doesn't change a
lot.  Here's the page in question:

http://processing.org/reference/libraries/index.html

>> - for nightly builds, I think that ideally there would be a way to
>> build libraries separately from Pd-extended, but that's a matter
>> of someone doing the work.  Running something like buildbot would
>> be really nice.
>
> yes!
>
> gfmadsr
> IOhannes