[PD-dev] how to access literal $args in constructor?

Mike McGonagle mjmogo at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 19:23:54 CEST 2008

If you are already putting the "literal" argument in the creation args, then
why not just make another creation argument that shadows the dollar
argument?

Mike

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 10:56 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig <zmoelnig at iem.at>wrote:

> hi
>
> we are having a hard time with the following problem:
> we want to create an object that has a variable number of iolets, based
> on the $args available.
> e.g. [myobj $1] should create an object with a single inlet
> [myobj $3] should create an object with 3 inlets.
>
> the number of iolets depends on the literal value of the dollargs, not
> on the expanded values!
>
> you can think of this like an [expr] object, but using "$2" directly
> instead of "$f2".
>
> now the problem is that i haven't found a way how to access the raw
> object arguments in the constructor (new-routine) of the object.
>
> it is simple to do so _after_ the constructor (by accessing the binbuf),
> but then it is too late.
> the raw args are not available yet within the constructor (it is filled
> right afterwards in the canvas_objtext() routine)
> the reason is obvious, as there is no memory allocated to store the
> binbuf before a call to pd_new()
>
> unfortunately the insight of why this is like it is does not really help
> me.
>
> does anybody (miller?) knows a way (or trick) how to access the raw
> arguments within the constructor (or _very_ shortly afterwards: that is,
> before the next object is created)
>
> else i would like to file a feature request to fill the information i
> need within the pd_new()
>
> any thoughts?
>

> fgamrsd
> IOhannes

Peace may sound simple—one beautiful word— but it requires everything we
have, every quality, every strength, every dream, every high ideal.
—Yehudi Menuhin (1916–1999), musician