[PD-dev] [ pure-data-Bugs-2138593 ] string2any missing from Pd-extended on Windows

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Tue Sep 30 23:34:00 CEST 2008

Bugs item #2138593, was opened at 2008-09-30 19:09
Message generated for change (Comment added) made by mukau
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=478070&aid=2138593&group_id=55736

not just the latest update.
Category: None
Group: None

Initial Comment:
string2any doesn't load on Windows, perhaps its missing.  I don't have a Windows machine to test on, but I have seen this on other people's machines.

Comment By: Bryan Jurish (mukau)
Date: 2008-09-30 23:33

Message:
... oops, my fault: I removed any2string, string2any, and sprinkler from
flatspace a few months ago, since the duplicates seemed to be causing some
confusion. See the pd-list archives for August 2008:

http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-list/2008-08/064506.html
http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-list/2008-08/064512.html

I still maintain that the windoof autobuild machine has a broken version
of make, and that v3.79 is not broken in that sense.

I also have no windows machine on which to test, so it's a bit difficult
for me to support that platform.  I see 3 possible solutions at the
moment:

1) someone fixes the make on the autobuild machine (opinions, Hans?)
   - variant "1b": I call an alternate un-broken make from the "moocow"
snippet of externals/Makefile instead of using $(MAKE).

2) I stop using macros in externals/moocow/extended/Makefile; possibly
even generating windows-specific makefiles for each subdirectory of
moocow/
   - ugly, time-consuming, and harder to maintain

3) I (or someone else) place any2string and string2any (and maybe
sprinkler) back into flatspace
   - redundant, confusing, help files don't get installed, mismatched
versions, ...

Of these, (1) and (3) would be easiest for me.  I don't care much for
(2)... I could deal without the macros on this scale, but they sure are
handy...

-Bryan

Comment By: Martin Peach (mrpeach)
Date: 2008-09-30 19:38

Message:
Works with [flatspace/string2any] on Pd version 0.40.3-extended-20080310