[PD-dev] future of [declare]

Luke Iannini lukexipd at gmail.com
Sat Nov 8 00:02:08 CET 2008

On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 1:22 PM, Miller Puckette
<mpuckett at imusic1.ucsd.edu> wrote:
> Followup:  it looks like currently, "declaring" a path inside an
> abstraction adds the declaration, buggily, to the whole line of parent
> patches.  one result of this is that, if you have a bunch of copies of
> an abstraction "declaring" a path, it actually gets searched over and
> over again every time a file is opened.  So I really need to fix this...
> meantime, if you're putting "declares" in an abstraction, you might
> be making load times grow very high.
>
> I still suggest never putting declares insige abstractions, since nobody has
> yet proposed a situation in which it's a good idea, and now it appears to
> be very bad for performance.
Hi Miller,
Isn't the benefit of declares in abstractions that you can modify the
search path of just that parent abstraction and its children?  If
abstractionA is known to be the only one that needs the path
"special-oscs/", there's no reason for abstractionB to be looking in
there.

(or, perhaps you mean no one has proposed a situation in which it is a
good idea, as declare is implemented currently)

Best
Luke