[PD-dev] poly library

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sun Nov 16 21:31:37 CET 2008

On Nov 15, 2008, at 9:46 PM, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Hallo,
>
>> - [rawpoly] allows for dynamic addition while each existing instance
>> will keep it's state.  It also creates objects in the subpatch with
>> proper $0 and $1.
>> - [instances] uses one [route] for all instances
>
> I think, the proper $1 can be pretty useful, especially when combined
> with IOhannes' trick to detect empty creation arguments. The real $0
> doesn't have a real advantage inside *poly, but it allows
> copy-and-paste of the whole subpatch into a static patch, that isn't
> generated dynamically anymore, which can be useful as a patching
> utility.
>
> The other changes are more cosmetic, I think, and here it's probably a
> matter of taste if an additional wrapper or the added dynamic patching
> is easier to handle.
>
> I'm a bit undecided in this regard, but the wrapper has as an
> advantage, that just by creating different wrappers one could induce
> different types of *poly-behaviour.
>
> I'm not a big fan of huge [route]s, though. ;)

I didn't think of changing the behavior by using different wrappers,
that makes sense.  I guess with nqpoly4 vs polypoly the main
difference in the wrapper.  I think there are a couple advantages to
not using a wrapper:

- makes it easier and more transparent to find instances when
debugging, [$1 $2 $3 $4 $5 $6 $7 $8 $9] is a strange construct to see

- it should make it much easier to make the *poly objectclass behave
like a normal objectclass, with one file being in extra, but usable
anywhere.  This would require [ggee/getdir], but it should be pretty
straightforward from there.

I am not a fan of huge routes, unless they are being dynamically
generated.  It makes some really nice line drawings when you have 30
or more instances :)  Is there any real difference in efficiency
between one big route and many small ones?

.hc