[PD-dev] poly library

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sun Nov 16 23:19:34 CET 2008

On Nov 16, 2008, at 4:17 PM, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Hallo,
>
>> I didn't think of changing the behavior by using different wrappers,
>> that makes sense.  I guess with nqpoly4 vs polypoly the main
>> difference in the wrapper.  I think there are a couple advantages to
>> not using a wrapper:
>>
>> - makes it easier and more transparent to find instances when
>> debugging, [$1 $2 $3 $4 $5 $6 $7 $8 $9] is a strange construct to see
>
> Yep, that's true, but OTOH a wrapper is just a Pd patch, which is
> much easier
> to change than a dynamic patching construct. That has to be taken into
> account when it comes to longer-term maintainability. Generally
> less dynamic
> patching is better.

I used to think that, but some recent improvements have made dynamic
patching much easier.  First, your idea of using a subpatch and send/
receives is super helpful.  Also, the settable send makes things much
easier to follow.  Building on your work, I think I've managed to get
these polys to be pretty simple and straightforward.  They could even
fit all on one patch without subpatches.

>> - it should make it much easier to make the *poly objectclass behave
>> like a normal objectclass, with one file being in extra, but usable
>> anywhere.  This would require [ggee/getdir], but it should be pretty
>> straightforward from there.
>
> You mean getdir for finding the objects to instantiate? Maybe you can
> elaborate this a bit... The big problem of all *polys so far is that
> it's hard for them to finde the objects to instantiate. At first I had
> hoped that your solution of omitting the wrapper would be an easy fix,
> but in my tests it showed the same issue.

Yes, I am thinking of using [getdir] to get the path of the parent
patch, then adding that path to the *poly's subpatch using [declare].

.hc