[PD-dev] [ pure-data-Bugs-2333688 ] [route] bugs

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Tue Nov 25 19:53:36 CET 2008

Bugs item #2333688, was opened at 2008-11-23 11:54
Message generated for change (Comment added) made by eighthave
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=478070&aid=2333688&group_id=55736

not just the latest update.
Category: puredata
Group: None

Initial Comment:
[route] is buggy with certain combinations of creation arguments.

case 1)

[route 0 bla]

send '0': first outlet matches: OK
send 'bla': no match: WRONG

to trigger the bug, '0' can be replaced by any other float, but not by 'float'.

case 2)

[route 1 bla]

send '0': second outlet matches: WRONG
send '1': first outlet matches: OK
send '2': no match: OK
send 'bla': no match: WRONG

the same behaviour is show also with any other non-zero float number as first argument.

Comment By: Hans-Christoph Steiner (eighthave)
Date: 2008-11-25 13:53

Message:
while this is not technically a bug, I do think it is something that we can
do better.  For that reason, I encourage you to create a patch illustrating
this for the "message oddness" collection.  For example, this problem was
documented there, albeit poorly, so it would be great to have a better
illustration:

http://pure-data.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/pure-data/trunk/doc/additional/messageoddness/route_mixing_float_and_symbol_arguments.pd?view=log

Comment By: Roman Haefeli (reduzent)
Date: 2008-11-24 04:19

Message:
i see.

sorry for the bogus bug report. but yeah, a warning would help. being able
to have an invalid combination of arguments without being notified is
confusing.

Comment By: IOhannes m zmlnig (zmoelnig)
Date: 2008-11-24 03:58

Message:
i think there are 2 things in your report:
- you are mixing floats and symbols in your arguments, which according to
the docs is an invalid use of the object: "Route checks the first element
of a message against each of its arguments, which may be numbers or symbols
(but not a mixture of the two.)"; one could argue that [route] should print
a warning if this happens

- the 2nd bug you reported is (i believe) related to the the issue fixed
in patch #2151892
https://sourceforge.net/tracker2/?func=detail&aid=2151892&group_id=55736&atid=478072;
but really it also boils down to an invalid use of the [route] object