[PD-dev] Request to be added to the PD Sourceforge project as a dev.

Ilias Anagnostopoulos I.Anagnostopoulos at sheffield.ac.uk
Wed Nov 26 03:17:59 CET 2008

Quote: "Please send your request to the pd-dev mailing list, together
with an introduction about your person and what you are doing."

So here it is:

Hello everyone,

My real name is Ilias, but I'm better known as Jesus. I build things,
mostly hardware, mostly sound-related, and mostly using analogue
electronic circuits. I've built a home-made Analogue Modular
Audio/Visual Synthesizer called Bob, which took me two years to
complete, while on the road, driving from Greece (where I was born) to
the UK (where I live) and back several times. During that period I also
performed a lot around Europe and the Balkans with my band (I Knew Them)
and with my electronic devices (Jesus is Angry). My most recent project
was building a Theremin with a proximity sensor for the pitch and a
luminance sensor for the volume.

As far as computers are concerned, I am a GNU/Linux user and supporter.
My software-views tend to be closer to the Free Software idea, as in
Free Speech. I maintain the OtherSide (http://otherside.servebeer.com)
which hosts some of my projects. I generally work on software that I
really like using, since my inspiration comes from my need to do things
that are not already there, or do the things that are there better, if
possible.

I have been using PD for a while now, mostly as a tool to explore ideas
that I then might implement to hardware. I am inspired by the networking
side of things when it comes to PD. I have created the OtherSide PD
system, a web-based collaborative synthesis system, based on PD but also
using IRC, a Python IRC bot, and the festival speech synthesis system,
during an MA course in Sonic Art and Media Production, in the University
of Sheffield Sound Studios. I am now doing a PhD in Hybrid Modular
Synthesis Systems in the same institution where I also teach. I am
interested in using computers and analogue electronics to create hybrid
systems for audio and video synthesis. I am currently working with PD
and have access to a couple of Arduinos to play with. I have created an
Ubuntu Intrepid 8.10 Package for PD-extended, which has been added to
the list on the website. I am also working on a -functional- 64-bit
version of PD-extended, since I have access to a 64-bit Ubuntu 8.04
Hardy system. Unfortunately, since this is in campus and is behind a
firewall, it is not easy for me to offer it as a PdLab machine. I'd be
happy to do a 64-bit branch when I make it work and offer deb (and maybe
rpm) packages. I am trying to convince the Computer Services in the USSS
to host an APT repository so I can have these things available there.
I'd be equally happy if they were hosted at the existing PD APT. I also
have an idea about a PD-server branch, to be used on headless server
systems with no GUI, for networking.

So to sum up, if you haven't been bored to death reading so far, I'd
like to get involved with the PD project as a dev. I've created a
Sourceforge account with the username jesushero and name Jesus H.

Thanks!!

PS: Sorry Gunter, didn't realize until now that the horrible DNS at the
University sends emails as user at sheffield.ac.uk instead of
user at shef.ac.uk - Re-registered...