[PD-dev] GPLv3 and Pd-extended

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sat Nov 29 01:50:52 CET 2008

For the next release of Pd-extended, I think we should release it
under the GPL v3, so I am asking to see if there are any objections.

This is my understanding of what this would mean: the only real added
restriction would be that things included in Pd-extended could not be
licensed "GPL v2 only", it would need to be licensed "GPL v2 or
later" or BSD-style.  If Pd-extended is again released using GPL v2,
that means that no GPL v3 code can be included.

So releasing Pd-extended as GPL v3 means that people can choose the
GPL v3 for code that is included, or they can totally ignore the
change, and keep the code as "GPL v2 or later" or BSD-style.

Here's a bit of previous discussion on this:

http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-dev/2006-11/007921.html

----

All mankind is of one author, and is one volume; when one man dies,
one chapter is not torn out of the book, but translated into a better
language; and every chapter must be so translated.... -John Donne