[PD-dev] libmpeg3 on fedora

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Sun Dec 7 18:02:04 CET 2008

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>> well, the joys of multiple distros...
>>
>> i suggest that either the distro or the upstream maintainers create a
>> pkg-config for libmpeg3.
>> this would be used automatically by Gem's build system.
>>
>> alternatively it should be possible to use:
>> % PKG_MPEG3_CFLAGS="-I/usr/include/mpeg3" ./configure
>>
>> to add specific cflags manually.
>
> Such a suggestion sounds a like a good idea.  I take your response to
> mean that you are not going to support Fedora as it is?  That is a
> common arrangement for headers in Fedora, this is not the only
> package setup like that.

i try to avoid supporting a distro as such.
(but i am using debian as my ultimate standard :-))

if distros decides to put header files into different places, then -
imho - distros are responsible to provide a mechanism to find the header.

i don't see so many solutions for this:
- include whatever directories people ask me to include in the upstream code
- try to figure-out which dirs to include by using some standardized
mechanism
- give the user the possibilty to add arbitrary dirs to the build-process
- automatically include all directories in the system.

i hope to have implemented #2 (via pkg-config) and #3 (via
configure-flags and/or environment variables).
i don't want to do #1 ("hey my new distro installs all headers into
/home/foo/bar/; please include this path") and i don't want to talk
about #4 :-)

however, i think i probably should pay more attention to where the
upstream libraries actually want their headers installed rather than
taking debian as the reference system...

fgmasrd
IOhannes