[PD-dev] pd-devel revival

Miller Puckette mpuckett at imusic1.ucsd.edu
Mon Dec 8 17:11:45 CET 2008

Hi all,

I've spent some time thinking about this.  I had only limited success pulling
code from the 0.39 "devel" because there were so many changes, often with
rationales I didn't fully understand, that I wasn't confident about my
ability to maintain whatever I ended up with.  However, I did manage to
fold some of it back into 'vanilla'.

On the other hand, u_main.tk is such a mess that I don't think of it in
the same way as the rest of the Pd code at all - I'm much more willing to
take "patches" on it even if I don't understand them :)

A couple of details.  First, I'm at work myself making a desire-data-inspired
rewrite of all the dialog windows... maybe you shouldn't lose time on that
till I have a chance to hack at it.  I'm also planning rather soon to add
a new text-editor-window feature.

Second, and this just occurred to me, I think it would be smart to separate
the u_main.tk cide into several smaller files.  They could simply be
concatenated by the makefile.  This way people could work on different
parts of it with much less chance of their work colliding.  I should have
thought of this simple strategy years ago, hmm.

cheers
Miller