[PD-dev] Pd 0.42-0 test 6 available

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Thu Dec 11 19:33:47 CET 2008

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> On Dec 11, 2008, at 4:39 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
>
>> Miller Puckette wrote:
>>> I'm thinking the sys_pdexe is teh only way.  I try to avoid adding junk
>>> to the Pd API but in this case I think it will be necessary.
>>
>> speaking of adding things to the Pd API...
>>
>> is it totally out of your ways to
>>
>> - add a function that returns the version of Pd?
>> something like "const char* pd_versionstring(void)" would be nice.
>> this could be used to ensure that an external is running with a Pd
>> version compatible to the one it was compiled against
>
> Since the version will most likely be used for a numeric comparison, and
> it is stored as a number, perhaps it makes sense to return numeric types
> instead of a char*?
>
> int pd_majorversion(void)
> int pd_minorversion(void)
> int pd_bugfixversion(void)

personally i don't care so much for the details.
i proposed the string as it outputs the full version number (with all
"test" and whatnot).
i think major/minor/bugfix-version might be the same for Pd and
Pd-extended but i would like to distinguish between the two.

of course it would be best if we had all 4 versions of the version :-)

>> - move the prototypes for using the loader-API from s_stuff.h to m_pd.h?
>
> This stuff still needs to be exposed as well:
>
> typedef int (*loader_t)(t_canvas *canvas, char *classname);
> EXTERN void sys_register_loader(loader_t loader);

yes of course, that's what i meant.
it was a quick reply without looking exactly where the missing
prototypes are located right now.

mfdsft
IOhannes