[PD-dev] [ pure-data-Patches-2419952 ] Add 'get' method to toggle

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sun Dec 14 18:52:12 CET 2008

On Dec 14, 2008, at 9:12 AM, Jamie Bullock wrote:

> On Sun, 2008-12-14 at 13:47 +0100, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
>> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>> Yeah, I think there should be more querying capabilities in Pd in
>>> general.  It allows for more dynamic behavior without resorting to
>>> strange hacks.
>>
>> you mean, strange hacks like storing a value in a variable?
>>
>> anyhow, i agree that [tgl] is "special" (in a not very positive
>> way) as
>> it is the only gui-object (i can think of right now) that will change
>> it's value when banged, rather than just output the current value.
>
> ... which was the exact reason I submitted the patch, but maybe the
> 'correct' patch would be to 'fix' the behaviour of [tgl] and make it
> output its current state on bang. I guess that's going to break (a lot
> of) stuff though...
>
> Actually, it never occurred to me to do what Miller said and simply
> store the current value of the toggle as it is set. This makes a
> separation between UI and logic, which ultimately is probably better
> design anyhow.

The iemguis have had their unique behavior for a very long time, so I
think it is a bad idea to change them.  The beauty of free software
means that anyone can take all the iemguis and modify them however
they want and make a new library out of them.

.hc

> Jamie
>
> --
> www.postlude.co.uk
> http://www.linkedin.com/in/jamiebullock

----

The arc of history bends towards justice.     - Dr. Martin Luther
King, Jr.