[PD-dev] pd-0.41-4 vanilla build fails on osx ppc

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Dec 23 04:20:29 CET 2008

On Dec 22, 2008, at 1:18 PM, volker böhm wrote:

> hi miller,
>
> On 22 Dec 2008, at 19:07, Miller Puckette wrote:
>> Sounds like you have a rare Mac without an i386 compiler
>> installed.  I'm
>> not sure, but I think bringing the development suite up to date
>> should
>> fix that.
>
> hm, i might not be running the latest shiny intel macbook, but my
> machines are still working fine most of the time :)
> on the G5 i'm running xcode 2.5 which is the latest version for non-
> intel macs, if i'm not mistake.
> so i'd think gcc should be more or less up to date (4.01).
> i have no problem compiling UB externals for max for example, so i'm
> not sure if this is the issue.
>
>> Of course, they probably will insist that you also bring the
>> OS up to date, and during the upgrade you'll lose all your files.
>> If it
>> were me, I'd just clench my teeth and use --disable-fat.
>
> yeah, no problem, i don't insist on fat.
> but while using --disable-fat does fix the compilation, it doesn't
> turn up any usable binaries for me.
> if i do a ./pd in /bin i get a wish.app and a pd window, but the
> menus are empty and i can't load patches or play any audio.
>
> i must be missing something else.

I don't think building FAT on ppc ever worked for me, that's why I
added the --disable-fat option, which works fine.

http://puredata.info/docs/developer/MacOSXFink

If you set up your machine like the above instructions (you don't
need Jack or Fink for vanilla), then use the pd-extended build
system, you'll end up with a Pd-vanilla.app that works on Mac OS X.
AFAIK, Miller's whole Mac OS X build system is not included in the SVN.

.hc