[PD-dev] poly library

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Dec 23 04:15:19 CET 2008

On Dec 21, 2008, at 5:28 PM, Ed Kelly wrote:

>>> Yep, that's true, but OTOH a wrapper is just a Pd
>> patch, which is
>>> much easier
>>> to change than a dynamic patching construct. That has
>> to be taken into
>>> account when it comes to longer-term maintainability.
>> Generally
>>> less dynamic
>>> patching is better.
>
> Well...if objects to be used within a dynamic patching system
> conform to some kind of standard, then dynamic patching is a good
> thing. I'm using it a bit in the forthcoming release of metastudio.
>
> It's really time-consuming and cumbersome to create large
> polyphonic structures in PD. So I'm making a client in which my
> machines can be dynamically created as patches. Can anyone explain
> to me why the dynamic patching aspect of PD is not documented? Some
> have suggested that it "might change" at some point in the future.
> I can't see how basic
> [obj $1 $2 myvoice $3 $4...$n-1(
> syntax could change without a radical change to the structure of
> PD. Can anyone enlighten me?

Basically, just open up a .pd file in a text editor, and those are
the messages that are used in dynamic patching.  You can also use
mouse movement messages, but those are really kludgey to use.  Check
out IOhannes' iemguts lib, it is a really great thing for this stuff.

.hc

> Happy Xmas,
> ED
>
> Lone Shark: Synchromatic: Out December 1st 2008
> http://www.pyramidtransmissions.com/store
> Also available through the iTunes store

----

realize his wishes.  Now that he can realize them, he must either
change them, or perish.    -William Carlos Williams