[PD-dev] Tcl/Tk code formatting and file organization

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Thu Dec 25 03:29:30 CET 2008

Now that I have done some coding on the new Tcl side of things, I
have some questions to pose here.  (crossing fingers, hoping to avoid
bike shed issues :D )

- first, does anyone object to making the Tcl files use 90 or 100
character widths?  Tcl lines tend to be long and 80 char width tends
to cause a lot of really ugly lines.

- second, I think we should use a similar tab format as the C side,
but cleaner: 4 char tabs, all spaces or maybe all tabs.

- third, I am thinking that the Tcl should be broken up into single-
file packages where the package name and the file name are the same.
For example:

pd.tk
menus.tcl
menucommands.tcl
bindings.tcl
preferences.tcl

or maybe:

pd.tk
pdmenus.tcl
pdmenucommands.tcl
pdbindings.tcl
pdpreferences.tcl

----

The arc of history bends towards justice.     - Dr. Martin Luther
King, Jr.