[PD-dev] pd.tk patches

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri Dec 26 18:39:23 CET 2008

On Dec 25, 2008, at 10:27 PM, [*~] wrote:

> Hi there:
>
> Hans-Christoph Steiner said :
>>
>> Here's how I see it:  I think we should first reorganize the code and
>> streamline the GUI.  I think we can change things that are only in
>> the
>> current u_main.tk.  Then once that is complete, we can start
>> making more
>> substantial changes.  So things like updating the preference pane
>> GUIs
>> (Path, Startup, Audio, Midi), reorganizing the key bindings and
>> menus,
>> cleaning up the Pd window and Help Browser, etc.
>>
>> What in particular did you have in mind?
>
> what i meant is more like this: patch only makes sense (in my head)
> when diffing between two similar files, or files derived from one
> and another. starting with a new file might be difficult for the
> main branch to eventually include it. hope this makes sense.
>
> I am happy with either way, i am just mentioning this because if we
> are thinking of having the main branch graudally take up the
> changes in pd-devel, then we need to think about how best for the
> changes to be ingetrated.

Yeah, that make sense.  I talked with Miller at the last Linux Audio
Conference about this. He said there that he would be willing to take
the whole file rather than a diff.  I hope that it is still the case,
I forget whether I mentioned this again in this round of discussion.

Just reorganizing the file would create such a massive diff that I
don't think it would be very readable.

.hc