[PD-dev] [patch] pd-devel: makefile.in: install lib stuff into $DESTDIR during install phase

mescalinum at gmail.com mescalinum at gmail.com
Sun Dec 28 17:02:53 CET 2008

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> Before we start modifying any specific file in pd-devel, I think there
> needs to be a plan for how those changes are going to maintained, IMHO.
yep, that makes sense.
it's well to discuss about it, since it's always good to bring
improvements to software.

if I remember correct, I tried submitting those DESTDIR fixes time ago,
also to pd-vanilla, but perhaps it found no interest.
let's put it into this way:

  why some files (everything under $prefix/lib it seems) need to get
installed outside $DESTDIR?

  actually almost no-one notices this problem when installing pd
directly to / (which is, when you specify no DESTDIR to make).
  but when you want to install files in some path (example: for
packaging pd), you end up having a DESTDIR which contains bin files, but
not library files, which get installed to the real root /) so the build
system it's not fully functional (it has to be regularly patched to
install correctly on Gentoo, as I said)

> So far, we've talked a lot about u_main.tk, and that's what we've been
> working on.  And by the way, IIRC, the DESTDIR changes are in the
> pd-extended branch, and submitted to the patch tracker.

yep I followed the discussion and despite I'm really busy with life,
work and study, I'm really happy this is happening, and I wish to
contribute to pd ui (I have some idea for improved widgets and also for
the ui design)

--
FF