[PD-dev] locales and iemgui

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Jan 6 17:21:29 CET 2009

On Jan 5, 2009, at 7:43 PM, mescalinum at gmail.com wrote:

> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>> Hey Chun, all,
>>
>> I am thinking that for adding locales to pd-devel, we should leave
>> iemgui out of it.  It is very messy code that has a lot of legacy
>> use,
>> so that the iemgui stuff would need to have full backwards
>>

> I agree they are very messy.
>
> I am totally for a remake of gui objects, with cleaner code, better
> functionality, and all the best.
> I believe much time must be spent on design of this, creating a common
> codebase for such objects, an API, a set of user requirements, and
> so on....

http://pure-data.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/pure-data/trunk/externals/tkwidgets

With tkwidgets, I spent a lot of time working on an API to handle the
Tk widgets easily from Pd.  Basically the idea is that during runtime,
the state of the widget is stored in the Tk widget itself.  Then Pd
just gets a dump from that widget and saves it.  I also have a working
code for a common method of dynamically resizing the widgets with the
mouse.

My idea with tkwidgets was to make Pd versions of all the standard Tk
widgets.  The API could then be used to make ttk, bwidgets, or even
mescalinumwidgets.

> which collaborative tool could help in this phase? wiki?

A wiki works for me, if you want to start one in http://puredata.info/dev/
   I am personally trying to express more ideas in code.

> just to throw in some ideas:
> * powerful sliders which allow to select range (i.e. a second handle
> comes in)
> * sliders and radio are basically the same type of object, just that a
> radio only would allow integer values
> * a bitmap object is missing (a seqence of bits.... just another
> representation of an integer)
>  also, that could be 2-dimensional, allowing grid of bits... but that
> falls out of generality with the radio/slider objects

All ideas to try.

> * preferences dialogs as pd patches? (this may be too ambitious)

I would really like to see all of the Pd dialogs be Pd patches.
IOhannes' iemguts is an important step towards this, since it allows
you to tie a Pd patch to the "Properties" menu item.

.hc