[PD-dev] pd-devel status report

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Jan 7 01:14:28 CET 2009

Hey all,

http://pure-data.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/pure-data/branches/pd-devel/0.41.4/src/

If you haven't followed the SVN check-ins, Chun and I have been
working on rewriting the Tcl side of things.  Things are structured
into some Tcl packages, but I am not sure they are named or organized
correctly just yet, so feedback would be good.  Also, Tcl's syntax can
get obfuscated fast, so I am trying to keep things pretty easy to read
for non-Tcl programmers.

The exciting news (for me at least) is that I have a working Tcl
implementation of the network side of the GUI, replacing t_tkcmd.c,
t_tk.h, and t_main.c.  It is now using Tcl's catch{} on incoming
commands so that invalid Tcl commands, like typing a '{' in current
Pd, can be handled cleanly.

If anyone is ready to join in, there are many things that people could
work on:

- internationalization using msgcat and standard .po files

- unified preference panel with tabs (like standard pref panes on
GNOME, Mac OS X, and Windows)

- flexible key binding code so that people can easily experiment with
all these ideas (this is started in pd_bindings.tcl)

- restructure Pd window for cleaner UI and code

- canvas scrollbar logic

and more....