[PD-dev] Tcl/Tk code formatting and file organization

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Thu Jan 8 13:36:15 CET 2009

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> On Jan 3, 2009, at 1:48 PM, Miller Puckette wrote:
>

> The "pd_" is not understood in Tcl.  If you have a package/namespace
> called "menus", that is very vague and has a very high potential for
> causing name conflicts.  "pd_menus" is much clearer in meaning and
> much less likely to cause name conflicts.  "t_" seems pretty much
> meaningless to me, especially since the files end with ".tcl".
>
> .tk is for wish shell, and .tcl is for tclsh and packages, so those
> different endings have meaning.  pd.tk is run with the Wish shell.  It
> could be pd.tcl, as long as there is a "package require Tk", which
> will then launch the Wish shell stuff.  I don't know if that would
> play nice with the Wish.app on Mac OS X.

two remarks:
- as i understand it, u_main.tk is deprecated and replaced by pd.tk.
can we then delete u_main.tk?

- for the sake of clarity: wouldn't it be nicer to have a separate
directory for all the tcl/tk files?

and a question:
- is there any documentation? how do I start getting into this (apart
from reading all the code)?

mfga.sdr
IOhannes