[PD-dev] Tcl/Tk code formatting and file organization

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri Jan 9 01:39:29 CET 2009

On Jan 8, 2009, at 7:36 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>> On Jan 3, 2009, at 1:48 PM, Miller Puckette wrote:
>>

>> The "pd_" is not understood in Tcl.  If you have a package/namespace
>> called "menus", that is very vague and has a very high potential for
>> causing name conflicts.  "pd_menus" is much clearer in meaning and
>> much less likely to cause name conflicts.  "t_" seems pretty much
>> meaningless to me, especially since the files end with ".tcl".
>>
>> .tk is for wish shell, and .tcl is for tclsh and packages, so those
>> different endings have meaning.  pd.tk is run with the Wish shell.
>> It
>> could be pd.tcl, as long as there is a "package require Tk", which
>> will then launch the Wish shell stuff.  I don't know if that would
>> play nice with the Wish.app on Mac OS X.
>

> two remarks:
> - as i understand it, u_main.tk is deprecated and replaced by pd.tk.
> can we then delete u_main.tk?

Done.  I suppose next t_tk.h, t_main.c and t_tkcmd.c should be
deleted, since the network and startup stuff is handled in Tcl
(pd_connect.tcl for example).

> - for the sake of clarity: wouldn't it be nicer to have a separate
> directory for all the tcl/tk files?

Perhaps, I don't have a strong feeling either way.  I think it is easy
enough to separate .tcl from .c.

> and a question:
> - is there any documentation? how do I start getting into this (apart
> from reading all the code)?

First we need to get it working, then organize it, then document
it. :)  So yeah, the code...

.hc