[PD-dev] startup order for pd/pd-gui

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sat Jan 10 18:32:59 CET 2009

I little self-posting is in order!  mescalinum and I have made some
progress, so I thought I'd document it here.

- on GNU/Linux, pd-gui is a process called pd-gui.  On Windows and Mac
OS X, pd-gui is started using 'wish pd.tk".

- 'pd' starts 'pd.tk' in s_inter.c

- when pd.tk is started by the Wish.app on Mac OS X, pd.tk then starts
'pd' using -guiport,

- s_inter.c and t_tkcmd.c are scary

.hc

On Jan 10, 2009, at 11:44 AM, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> One thing that is twisting my brain into knots is the startup order/
> procedure.  It is not very easy to follow and different on each
> platform.  This is something I would really like to smooth out.
> Right now, I am looking for tips on figuring out everything that is
> going on.  I've searched around some, but am not finding any
> archived discussions.
>
> Anyone have some tips or know about where some stuff might be written?
>
> .hc

> "Free software means you control what your computer does. Non-free
> software means someone else controls that, and to some extent
> controls you." - Richard M. Stallman

You can't steal a gift. Bird gave the world his music, and if you can
hear it, you can have it. - Dizzy Gillespie