[PD-dev] seteuid vs. setuid

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sat Jan 10 20:25:17 CET 2009

Hey,

I was just merging 0.41 vanilla into pd-extended 0.40 and noticed
something worthwhile to point out.  It seems there isn't a patch
submitted for this, but it is quite simple.  Basically, in s_inter.c,
'seteuid()' is used to lose setuid privileges.  As far as I understand
it, seteuid() allows the program to keep the root privilege and switch
back and forth between root and non-root.

In Pd, it seems it should use setuid() which means change to the new
UID and lose the old one completely.  Once it starts, it shouldn't
need to switch back, right?  Pd-extended 0.40.3 has this change in it
and it seems to work fine.

Computer science is no more related to the computer than astronomy is
related to the telescope.      -Edsger Dykstra