[PD-dev] locales and iemgui

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Fri Jan 23 19:08:53 CET 2009

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> On Jan 23, 2009, at 10:37 AM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
>> So, do you really think that Tcl's GetText 'format' is being used at all
>> outside of Tcl? It's not like it's the same format as used in GNU GetText.
> Considering Tcl's msgcat is listed in the official GNU gettext manual as
> "fully portable", I think it is safe to say yes:
> http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/gettext/Tcl.html

But Tcl's msgcat is using its own *.msg file format instead of *.po.

> Here is one: http://www.gted.org/

Does it support Tcl's *.msg files, or only *.po ? I only see a mention of
*.po.

>> Do you need a well debugged and optimised library for accessing a hashtable
>> when the language already has commands for accessing hashtables freely?
> Do you really think that accessing a hashtable is all there is to
> localization?  How about parsing the names of the locales (en_US,
> en_US.UTF-8, en_GB, etc.)?  That is non-trivial and handled by msgcat, as are
> many other things we haven't thought of, but the people who have been working
> on gettext/msgcat since

Yeah, this is what most of the msgcat library does. If you remove the
locale autodetection code from it, there's not much code left. I don't
really mind setting the language myself though. Yet it'd be fine with me
if the locale were autodetected.