[PD-dev] 64-bit warnings

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Mon Jan 26 04:08:36 CET 2009

Hey,

I am just starting to work on making 64-bit builds for Mac OS X.  In
the process I found a few compiler warnings that Apple added to gcc to
help transition from 32-bit to 64-bit.  I enabled it on the pd-
extended nightly builds and got a ton of warnings.  It seems like it
would be worth checking out.

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Darwin/Conceptual/64bitPorting/building/chapter_5_section_2.html

-Wconversion

     Although not technically new for 64-bit architectures, this
option is mostly useful when transitioning 32-bit code to 64-bit. This
flag causes additional warnings to be printed when certain conversions
occur between data types of different sizes. Most of these warnings
will not be useful, so you should not necessarily fix everything that
generates a warning with this flag. However, you may sometimes find
this flag useful for tracking down hard-to-find edge cases.

     In particular, this flag can also help track down edge cases in
which a series of legal conversions result in an illegal conversion.
For example, with this flag, the compiler will issue a warning if you
assign a pointer to a 64-bit integer, pass that pointer into a 32-bit
function argument, and subsequently convert the 64-bit function result
back into a pointer.

-Wshorten-64-to-32

     This flag is like -Wconversion, but is specific to 64-bit data
types. This flag causes GCC to issue a warning whenever a value is
implicitly converted (truncated) from a 64-bit type to a 32-bit type.
You should fix any warnings generated by this flag, as they are likely
to be bugs.

"Free software means you control what your computer does. Non-free
software means someone else controls that, and to some extent controls
you." - Richard M. Stallman