[PD-dev] GPLv3 and Pd-extended

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Jan 27 01:02:16 CET 2009

Since there was resounding silence on this issue, I am switching Pd-
extended to GPLv3 now.

.hc

On Nov 28, 2008, at 7:50 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> For the next release of Pd-extended, I think we should release it
> under the GPL v3, so I am asking to see if there are any objections.
>
> This is my understanding of what this would mean: the only real
> added restriction would be that things included in Pd-extended could
> not be licensed "GPL v2 only", it would need to be licensed "GPL v2
> or later" or BSD-style.  If Pd-extended is again released using GPL
> v2, that means that no GPL v3 code can be included.
>
> So releasing Pd-extended as GPL v3 means that people can choose the
> GPL v3 for code that is included, or they can totally ignore the
> change, and keep the code as "GPL v2 or later" or BSD-style.
>
> Here's a bit of previous discussion on this:
>
> http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-dev/2006-11/007921.html
>
> .hc

> All mankind is of one author, and is one volume; when one man dies,
> one chapter is not torn out of the book, but translated into a
> better language; and every chapter must be so translated.... -John
> Donne

I spent 33 years and four months in active military service and during
that period I spent most of my time as a high class muscle man for Big
Business, for Wall Street and the bankers.      - General Smedley Butler