[PD-dev] [clipboard get] vs. custom X11 code

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sat Jan 31 01:10:31 CET 2009

On Fri, 30 Jan 2009, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> On Win32 and Mac OS X, pd gets the text from Tcl/Tk using [clipboard
> get].  It would make things cleaner if everything used the same code. Is
> there any reason not to make X11 get the data from Tk, if possible?

Most likely Miller is confused because in X11 there are two paste
mechanisms, which one could call select+paste and copy+paste. I just used
[clipboard get] with Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V on Linux and I don't recall
anything wrong with it.

The select+paste system instead uses Button-2 (middle-click or thumb-click
or wheel-click depending on which mouse) to paste directly from the
selection instead of from the clipboard, because then there's no real
clipboard in that system.

Right?