[PD-dev] mclocale

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Feb 4 07:34:14 CET 2009

I played around some more and I can't reproduce your starting
problem.  I was able to start the current code on Ubuntu like this:

wish8.5 ../bin/pd.tk
wish ../bin/pd.tk
../bin/pd

And on Mac OS X like this:

wish ../bin/pd
../bin/pd
the Pd-devel.app that I have.

I did fix the font panel, it launches now.  Maybe Tcl is having some
issue with your font setup?

.hc

On Feb 3, 2009, at 1:39 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> Hey,
>
> I cc'ed pd-devel to keep people posted and get people involved, I
> hope that's ok.
>
> I've been thinking that there could be a 5th preference pane for
> preferences just relating to the Wish/Tcl side of things.   The 4
> now are all related to pd (paths, startup, audio, midi). Global
> settings like font, bg/fg color, etc. and also GUI behaviors could
> be managed in this 5th preferences pane.  Perhaps there could be a
> manual override for the locale in that 5th prefpane.
>
> Is that along the lines of what you were thinking?
>
> Also, I think might have broken starting from Wish first, this is
> what I use mostly for testing:
>
> rm -f ../bin/pd.tk ; make bin && ../bin/pd
>
> (The makefile doesn't handle tracking the Tcl files well, so
> deleting ../bin/pd.tk forces all Tcl files to be copied again)
>
> .hc
>
> On Feb 3, 2009, at 1:38 AM, Chun Lee wrote:
>
>> Hi there:
>>
>> i was going to try out exporting LANG on this laptop i am using
>> atm, but pd-devel don't seem to run, though it compiled fine....
>> when i do ./pd.tk, it got stuck at "setting font to: Courier
>> normal", then nothing. will try it again later on my main laptop
>> when i am home next. just looked at the TODO list and will think of
>> something to work on. have you thought about ways to customise the
>> appearance of the patch? ie bg/fg colour, font, object colour..etc?
>> maybe i can look into that?
>>
>> cheers
>>
>> chun
>>
>> Hans-Christoph Steiner said :
>>>
>>> I think the msgcat is pretty much sorted out, except for details.
>>> For
>>> me, I have just been setting "export LANG=zh" on the command line,
>>> then
>>> running it.  I think we should add code to make sure that it first
>>> tries
>>> to get the locale from the system, then otherwise, it can be
>>> manually
>>> set.
>>>
>>> As for what you want to work on, I've been maintaining the
>>> devel_docs/
>>> TODO pretty well.  Really, its up to you what you want to work
>>> on.  I
>>> just started redoing all the panels.  Check out the Find panel, I
>>> think
>>> we can do a lot of good stuff there.
>>>
>>> .hc

>>> I have the audacity to believe that peoples everywhere can have
>>> three
>>> meals a day for their bodies, education and culture for their
>>> minds, and
>>> dignity, equality and freedom for their spirits.      - Martin
>>> Luther
>>> King, Jr.

> If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem.

                             kill your television