[PD-dev] pd-devel code structure meeting on IRC

mescalinum at gmail.com mescalinum at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 23:15:58 CET 2009

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> Now that the core of Pd-devel is working,
actually it isn't working on Linux (the main window shows up, but it's
freezed)

> and other people are
> starting to mess with it, I figure its a good time to have an IRC
> meeting about it.  At this point, the code is working but could be
> structured much better.

++

> One thing I am realizing is that the code would probably be a lot
> cleaner if it was organized in a more Object-oriented style.  I am not
> sure that using incr Tcl or things like that are the way, I think we
> could probably just organize things into packages that act like object
> classes, but I am open to other things.

incrTcl is nice
also tcl 8.5 has it's own object system (available as tclOO extension
for earlier versions)
also is possible to make a tiny object system in pure-tcl
I've made mine - it has public/provate methods, widget hiding, it's very
much like tk "objects" - see http://wiki.tcl.tk/18151 very beginning of
the code defines the object system

I'm actually working to a dataflow canvas in pure tcl
it actually implements every functionality of the pd canvas and has the
same feel, it can mimick the style of pd or max, I added autocomplete
feature (bash-style completion)
I'm planning adding segmented patch cords (although I'm now stuck with
complex line-routing algorithms)