[PD-dev] stripping down Pd-extended's default libs

Loic Kessous loic.kessous at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 18:39:34 CET 2009

well, as an ex-max only user , and a new Pd-extended user, I must say
that I was quit happy to find already installed gem , pdp and an
several other things.

it doesn't take time to load all the libraries, and I don't understand
what would be the reason to change this (but maybe there is one that I
don't see).

That's maybe true that it takes time to understand what to use because
there's a lot of libraries, and some new structuring of the libraries
may help, but not including gem (and particularly the pix_'object')
and pdp by default will not be a good idea, I think . Also some more
documentation may help too.

Finally, even if it is messy to understand what to use at the
beginning, I still prefer to try things already in the extended
distribution by default than to load things before to try.

one thing is that, if you compare to the source, some things are not
working or not appearing on different platforms, but as I understand
it is not related to the way to load libraries (by default or manually).

I would suggest to think about a new way to organize and document
libraries instead of the stripping down option.

hope that help,

loic
  ---