[PD-dev] pow~ in Cyclone [was: Re: stripping down Pd-extended's default libs]

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Mon Feb 16 21:01:29 CET 2009

On Feb 16, 2009, at 4:24 AM, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Hallo,
>
>> Gem cyclone zexy creb cxc iemlib list-abs mapping markex maxlib
>> memento mjlib motex oscx pddp pdogg pixeltango pmpd rradical sigpack
>> smlib toxy unauthorized vbap pan freeverb hcs jmmmp ext13 ggee
>> iem_anything flib ekext flatspace pdp pidip
>>
>> I think it should be something like:
>>
>> cyclone zexy creb iemlib ggee iem_anything flatspace
>
> Uhm: list-abs?
>
> A little problem is coming up with cyclone: Its [pow~] is different
> from the new builtin [pow~] in 0.42 (reversed inlets). What should we
> do about that?

What do you propose?  The built-in stuff is loaded first, so that will
break patches that rely on [pow~] being the cyclone object.

This is a great example of why no libraries should be loaded by
default, and instead the library configuration should be part of the
patch itself.  If we can such a system in place before Pd-extended
0.42, that will make the transition much easier.  You could just load
'cyclone' before 'extra' in your own patch, and there would be no
conflicts.  Yes, it will be annoying in the short run, but in the long
run, we'll be better off.

.hc