[PD-dev] pow~ in Cyclone [was: Re: stripping down Pd-extended's default libs]

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Tue Feb 17 07:26:08 CET 2009

Hallo,
Roman Haefeli hat gesagt: // Roman Haefeli wrote:

> from what i have understood, it is not cyclone's ability to replace
> built-ins, but it is a so called new feature of pd 0.42. the same
> happens also with zexy's [pack] and [unpack] and many others.
>
> why is that so cool? i personally find it _very much_ confusing, that
> you cannot be sure anymore to use only pd-vanilla classes, when
> libraries are loaded.

IIR that's not how the feature in 0.42 works. It does not affect each
external and also does not affect single-file externals. The only
object classes affected are those, that override Pd builtins. If you
load zexy and if zexy overrides [pack], then its sensible to assume,
that you want to use zexy's [pack]. Pd 0.42 keeps its own [pack] in an
alias, but allows zexy to override it with its own version.

Same with some versions of pow~, wrap, abs~, ...

If you use Cyclone in its single externals files version, the version of
[pow~] that you get is the one from 0.42.

"Fixing" this would involve changing Cyclone and Zexy.

> then again, as you say, this new features introduces _another_
> difference between pd-extended and vanilla: overriding internal classes
> works only with libs and not with single-class-per-file collections.

It's a difference between Pd >= 0.42 and Pd < 0.42.  I don't think,
overriding builtins ever worked with single-file externals, but maybe
I'm wrong. IOhannes? The overriding with lib-libraries works as before,
additionally you now can use the builtins with an alias. That may not be
the most pretty solution, but it doesn't break anything.

> Der fr?he Vogel f?ngt den Wurm. Hier gelangen Sie z...

Right!  ;)

Ciao
--
Frank