[PD-dev] pow~ in Cyclone [was: Re: stripping down Pd-extended's default libs]

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Tue Feb 17 07:30:55 CET 2009

Hallo,
Matt Barber hat gesagt: // Matt Barber wrote:

> > Getting rid of cyclone's pow~ would break all of the patches that rely
> > on cyclone's pow~, and would also make it harder to import Max/MSP
> > patches.  Removing it is not a solution.
>
> Okay.  But I don't see why something that is a rather obvious breach
> of style should be allowed to bully the rest of the application.  I
> have never used Max/MSP, but it seems like its (and cyclone's) [pow~]
> is really something more like an [exp~] with a changeable base.

Cyclone's overriding is pretty important for importing Max files.
Without it I wouldn't have been able to port the RTC library that fast.
Of course porting RTC involved replacing many objects with their Pd
equivalents (and being a pd-vanilla fanboy, I mostly used builtins and
abstractions for that). Other users may be fine with keeping Cyclone
loaded and run the Max originals - freedom of choice is fine here.

Ciao
--
Frank