[PD-dev] pow~ in Cyclone [was: Re: stripping down Pd-extended's default libs]

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Tue Feb 17 09:45:23 CET 2009

Hallo,
Roman Haefeli hat gesagt: // Roman Haefeli wrote:

> now, that pd has its own [pow~], why not just using that? yeah, it takes
> a bit more time to write the abstractions, but then they are more
> vanilla friendly.

But that's exactly why I brought this topic up and asked: What to do
about pow~?

Because of the reversed inlets you cannot use the buildin pow~ when
importing Max-patches without breaking the patch.

I think, the smartest thing would be to use the builtin pow~, but
reverse the *connections* made to it. Because that's what I'd have to do
manually now after importing a Max patch with cyclone.

An alternative would be to rename the pow~ in cyclone to something like
[max_pow~] or [Pow~] and use that instead when importing.

I suppose the connection-mangling is not trivial to write and as only
this one object is affected, it may be easier to just do it manually
when needed. The feature, that Pd now reports overwritten classes is
very useful for spotting such differences.

Ciao
--
Frank