[PD-dev] pow~ in Cyclone [was: Re: stripping down Pd-extended's default libs]

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Feb 17 19:48:29 CET 2009

On Feb 17, 2009, at 3:45 AM, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Hallo,
> Roman Haefeli hat gesagt: // Roman Haefeli wrote:
>
>> now, that pd has its own [pow~], why not just using that? yeah, it
>> takes
>> a bit more time to write the abstractions, but then they are more
>> vanilla friendly.
>
> But that's exactly why I brought this topic up and asked: What to do
> about pow~?
>
> Because of the reversed inlets you cannot use the buildin pow~ when
> importing Max-patches without breaking the patch.
>
> I think, the smartest thing would be to use the builtin pow~, but
> reverse the *connections* made to it. Because that's what I'd have
> to do
> manually now after importing a Max patch with cyclone.
>
> An alternative would be to rename the pow~ in cyclone to something
> like
> [max_pow~] or [Pow~] and use that instead when importing.

This breaks old patches that rely on cyclone's [pow~].  This is a
problem that many people have addressed in languages like python,
java, ruby, etc.  The solutions generally look very similar, from what
I have seen, so I think we should learn from their experience.

The last major piece of the puzzle is making loaded binary objectclass
names be in the canvas-local namespace, just like abstractions are
now.  Unfortunately, that's not so easy to write.  But I think its the
right thing to do.

.hc