[PD-dev] namespaces [ after all that's the point ]

ydegoyon at free.fr ydegoyon at free.fr
Wed Feb 18 18:02:57 CET 2009

ola,

from all the very long thread about pow~,
i just have to add a few remarks :

* namespaces don't provide at all disambiguation of classes,
depending which patch you open and in which order,
you'll never know what version of object you are using
or which one is valid at a given moment.

to me there are two real solutions to that issue :

a/ impeach any overriding of classes,
that will force people to find different names
for their externals.

b/ do a bit of 'social engineering' to prevent all of this,
and, for example, someone had a tracker object once that
he wanted to call grid ( as it is a grid of numbers )
and we just discussed and i told him to call it tracker,
cause it's anyway closer to that function,
so now everyone's happy
don't believe that a 'smart' technological solution
like namespaces will save you the task
of communication
( well, that's true in the context of a community, humm,
i doubt there's a real community here )

and for pow~, i would it wop~ cause it does the things al revés..

well, i doubt what i write will be followed anyway..

xiaoo,
sevy