[PD-dev] pow~ in Cyclone [was: Re: stripping down Pd-extended's default libs]

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Feb 18 18:35:30 CET 2009

On Feb 18, 2009, at 8:38 AM, Martin Peach wrote:

> IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
>> Frank Barknecht wrote:
>>> Hallo,

>>> So am I understanding it correctly, that Zexy's [pack] is not doing
>>> the fuddling Cyclone does and now suddenly became an object that
>>> overwrites internals by changes in Pd 0.42?
>>

>> exactement!
>>
>> because i didn't do any fudlling (well knowing that zexy's [pack]
>> is not
>> ready to replace Pd's [pack]; but stating the intention to become so
>> LATER by using class_new("pack") - thinking that this was a safe
>> thing
>> to do), i was shocked that suddenly my pack would be used instead
>> of the
>> vanilla one.
>>

> I guess it never occurred to any of you to use objects with different
> names...
>
> Or else why not just call every pd object "object" and then use
> paths to
> access them, like [pd/some/library/subdirectory/object]?
>
> Just kidding in a frustrated sort of way.

Different names are a good idea, for sure.  But Pd should also not go
down in flames if someone happens to create an object with a name that
is already used somewhere.  Its not possible to know every single
object that has ever been made.

I just ran into this myself trying to create an abstraction called
"beat".  Apparently, there is already a [beat], so I got unexpected
results.

.hc