[PD-dev] stripping down Pd-extended's default libs

marius schebella marius.schebella at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 07:41:52 CET 2009

wrt the user/patcher distinction:
ok, let's not differentiate bet. these two. but differentiate between a
scenario where you only share patches and abstractions vs. a scenario
where you also share library binaries. the first calls for a
standardized set of object classes (which does not exist - yet?). with
the use of declarations you expect a standardized set of available
libraries. but this is future telling, too. to have persistent sharing
of pd patches, you either have to agree on a set of object classes or
always ship the pd version and libraries. again. declare -lib zexy is
also only based on the assumption that we are talking about the same
zexy library. this assumption really is not much different than the
assumption that we are talking about the same [gate] object class...

wrt pd-extended
my perception is that the vast majority of pd users use extended. but
you are right, there are a lot of situations, where pdx is problematic
(the license, then the long startup times(?), some objects (pdj)
incompatible...)

wrt to the unsolved object class/library situation
if we start declaring every object class that we use, then doesn't that
mean that we should also separate the pd kernel from the object classes
that ship with pd (vanilla) and load -lib vanilla as a (first?) set of
available objects?
the next thing I would strongly propose is a restructuring of the
libraries into thematical collections.
and then deal with the question, if we need libraries at all, why not go
with single externals and declare each of them separately.

pd is so much like the real world, unfinished:open imperfect:exciting
software:hardware:people:life.

marius.