[PD-dev] pow~ in Cyclone [was: Re: stripping down Pd-extended's default libs]

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Thu Feb 19 08:17:42 CET 2009

Hallo,
Frank Barknecht hat gesagt: // Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Hallo,
> IOhannes m zmoelnig hat gesagt: // IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
>
> > 2.:
> > using [cyclone/pow~] will force the use of the single-object external,
> > and while doing so it will call the class_new() method for "pow~" which
> > will override the internal [pow~].
> > [pow~] will become the cyclone version.
>
> This is correct. I made a test whose results you can see in the
> attached screenshot and patch. It's weird. :)

Okay, replying to myself: The attached patch IMO illustrates a severe
bug with the aliasing. It is possible to have the same object in a
patch behave differently depending on opaque circumstances like creation
order. That's not only weird, it's nasty.

Generally from time to time Pd will get new builtins that may use names
of objects, that are already in some library. These internals
should not be overwritten by the old externals by default, but
overwriting may be included as an optional feature. So I would suggest
something like a (gloabl or canvas-local) switch that explicitly enables
builtin-overwriting. That way, Cyclone could still import Max patches,
but zexy-pack wouldn't break anything in the default case. Still
IOhannes would be able to use his pack when developing and RjDj could
overwrite [soundfiler] with a [soundfiler] external that also loads ogg-files.

Cyclone's fragile part probably could even be simplified in the code.

Ciao
--
Frank